Ripping Game Gives Carlisle the Points

Match report by RUNNING MONKEY at the Vic

Pools 2 Carlisle 3 (League 2) Saturday August 29th 2015

There were a few comments on t'internet about this game from the respective managers, one claiming this was their cup final, and the added Paynter factor should play a big part. As Paynter went off in Tuesday’s game, was he going to be fit? The wireless says said yes, and Woods too, who was doubtful after the visit of Bournemouth.

I was hoping that the loss of Paynter was due to us getting hammered, and as he was not going to change that game he was being rested for today’s affair.

There was a good atmosphere in the ground despite the attention of more than our fair share of police cars, vans, dogs and even a helicopter, possibly due to the eight hundred visitors from the shires getting excited in this genteel seaside town.
There must have been bother on their journey down; the last time I saw trouble like that was when the Yorkshire wannabees, L***s over fifties club, were let loose on the town to see if they had any muscles to flex.

Kicking up the bank for the first half always makes me feel a little better but the almost full Rink End apparently disgraced themselves by ripping out seats and lumps of timber, and quite a few were getting slung out for going on to the pitch. Sad sight to see at the Vic.

It was a bright start from both sides, end-to-end stuff.

Pools got that vital early goal. A goalmouth scramble at the Rink End, with the ball bouncing in and around a melee of players from both sides who were having a swipe, it was Harrison that managed to hit it into the net. Carlisle reacted to going one down and became very physical in their tackling and they pressed us in numbers.

There was a hell of a scramble in our box, as they pressed hard for a quick equalizer. Hery was causing problems and getting into the box too easily down our right side. They have a long throw expert who could hit the box no problem and they used him quite a bit. Harrison and Boyce had their work cut out against some big men in the Carlisle side. In their next attack they managed to hit the bar from four yards out.
"Even with six minutes extra time we had no chance of getting anything from the game. "

Featherstone broke a tackle and made a smart turn in the box after Magnay laid a ball on but his shot was blocked. The Ditchburn Poolie had described the ref as a lunatic after some chaos he had caused at another venue, and after a tackle, no, an assault on Bartlett by Grainger, when Barrett went down for a ball and Grainger literally jumped on the keeper, it was not a fifty-fifty ball, it was dangerous play. But the ref eventually gave a dropped ball.

Paynter took a long looping shot that went straight at the keeper but there was little to worry the Carlisle man. Bingham made a run down the line and was sent head over heels by a defender, as they were taking no prisoners. Ibehre went close and Carlisle were getting in far too easily. Bingham played some good football and a quick turn and shot hit the upright just before the break.

Magnay did not come out for the second half and he was sorely missed as we allowed them to run riot. Pools went backwards from here on in and never looked like getting on top of the visitors. Any chance we did get was wasted and we started to give the ball away too easy. Bigg, the Carlisle centre back was well named and he picked up a booking after taking out two Pools players with one tackle. Carlisle looked the better side in the second half and soon got the equalizer. Not surprising after the missed chances they had in the first half.

The Pools penalty was after some smart work by Fenwick, dodging around the box waiting for a free kick to be taken and he was bear hugged by Kennedy, and the ref stopped the game and spoke to the pair of them. As they went back ready for the kick Kennedy did the same thing and the ref pointed to the spot. The Ditchburn praised him no end for having the balls to give the decision.
Paynter was up for it and his celebration was with all the lads in front of the dug out with Curle watching Paynter imitating a weight lifter.

The equalizer for Carlisle was a brilliant run and a screamer of a shot across Bartlett who had no chance as the ball hit the top corner. Pools were chasing the ball again and credit to the visitors for their application and they topped it off with another goal from Ibehre. Even with six minutes extra time we had no chance of getting anything from the game.

We lost all shape in the second half and paid the penalty. Boyce for me was man of the match, but I think it was given to Woods.