Yeovil - As I seen it!


Pools 0 - 0 Yeovil   Saturday March 9th

Match report by RUNNING MONKEY at The Vic


Luscombe for Baldwin was the only change in the line up as Pools took on Yeovil today, and everyone was saying it is do or die, and three points was the order of the day as frayed nerves were showing in the face of the lads running out of games to save the season, as they continue the fight for survival.

It did not help when we lost the toss and had to kick down bank the first half - always an omen and today the vultures were circling in numbers. Well, seagulls, but my mate Ken from up north was easily convinced. Ken was talking about going home early as he was expecting snow but for a fan that has missed 60% of our late goals this season, talking about going home early before the kick off was bad. With twenty minutes left I was asking him to leave to see if it would change our luck and we could score.

We started brightly enough and a goalmouth scramble saw Pools putting a lot of pressure on the visitors. Sadly Poole could not force the ball past the diving keeper. We caught the visitors offside a few times in the first fifteen minutes as Pools pushed up on to their forwards, but the game was becoming bogged down in midfield as both teams gave the ball away and neither could make the telling pass to break out.

Hartley cleared one missed punch by Ned who had to be on top form as two Yeovil strikers pounced on the ball. From the Town End we all though for a second they had scored as the volley hit the bar and bounced down in a 1966 Russian lino moment, but fortunately the ball was hoofed clear as the Yeovil fans and players appealed. It looked like one of those games where we put in all the work and they sneak a winner.

Luscombe, carrying the ball across the box, hit a shot that was blocked and RH hit the rebound back in, but just wide from twenty five yards. We managed to make it to half time but the signs were there that we were in for a tough fight against a form team.

A great chase down to the flag by Franks , who took the ball from a defender and crossed for Poole, but his shot was over the bar. Horwood came down the right after winning a tackle on the half way line and sent in a great cross that was cleared, but from then on we were under the cosh, boosted by our lack of scoring when we had them under quite a bit of pressure. Like a lot of visitors to the Vic this season, they knew they had little to fear from our attack.

"You could almost hear the cries of BANZAI as wave after wave of the yellow peril came at us."Defensively we were getting pulled apart, and some desperate work by Hartley in particular kept us in the game. You could almost hear the cries of BANZAI as wave after wave of the yellow peril came at us. And even clearances were difficult to come by as Pools miss-hit so many passes and clearances, and it was hard to watch the ball coming straight back.

Luscombe was replaced by Monky, who, in the past you might have thought could give you a chance of a goal, but not these days, as he only managed to get himself booked for a stupid foul through frustration, as he had just lost possession down the wing. Within a minute Walton was booked for a similar offence as the pressure on the lads grew.

One criticism of the substitutions was Franks being pulled for Sweeney, as he was probably our only threat during the game. Sweeney did go close with almost his first touch - he tested the keeper but with the changes and the fact that Yeovil stepped up their game we became more disjointed and less effective.

You can argue that it is now six games at home unbeaten but at the end of the day it will come down to others deciding our future in the division and we could look back on these games with regret as they have been winnable, especially today when other games went in our favour.