RUNNING MONKEY sees the first win of the season

A nice day for footy and a reasonable crowd of 3863 in the Vic today for the visit of the current bottom club Scunthorpe who have shipped a few goals already this season. A good chance for Pools to turn the corner and hopefully our strikers to get the chance to fill their boots.

In the early stages it was obvious that their keeper looked a bit shaky when he dropped the ball from the first Pools corner and my mate Ken said we should be testing him more than we were. It was end-to-end stuff with both teams not able to get the final ball right. Horwood was just wide of the mark with a good strike from a free kick as Pools stepped up the pace.

Scunny were playing good football and the left-winger was finding a lot of space out wide and they were fast on the break. Some slack defending from Pools let Scunny in with a chance but the ball was collected easy by Flinders. Hartley was on his feet bawling at his midfield after he made a superb tackle in our box to rob an attacker who had been given too much time and space down the right. Flinders was scrambling at the back post from the next attack but the ball ran wide for a goal kick.

" Hartley was on his feet bawling at his midfield after he made a superb tackle in our box to rob an attacker who had been given too much time and space down the right." Howard had a shot on the turn but the keeper was equal to it. The goal we deserved came as Sweeney tested the keeper and then Franks made a great run  to connect with a Horwood cross and blast the ball into the net past the Scunthorpe keeper. Sweeney forced a corner late in the half that Scunny cleared and they stepped up their game looking for an equaliser. Once again the game became end to end stuff as the Scunny were coming back into the game, and a bad pass by Aussie saw Scunny with a clear run into the box and a shot smashed against the Pools bar and the rebound was mis-hit as the first half came to an end.

Scunny came out with more purpose at the start of this half as Pools got a bit sloppy and Flinders made a great save pushing the ball over the bar from a rasping long range Scunny shot. Sweeney matched the Scunny striker with a long-range blast of his own that won Pools a corner, which was cleared. Cooper made changes as the game became bogged down and Luke James made a big difference to the Pools attack.

Horwood was cynically chopped down as the frustration grew in the Scunny side. Flinders flapped at a high ball, but fortunately Scunny hit it over the bar. A great flick on by Howard set up Luke James but he was bundled to the ground with nothing given by the ref. Scunny were pressing now and piling in the crosses and breaking fast when they got the ball. A great run down the wing by Franks saw him chip the ball into the centre but it landed on top of the net.

A header by Howard found Monky clear but his shot went wide. Franks went down with a knee injury and was replaced by Holden. Sweeney thought he had scored with a header over the keeper but the defender handled on the line and was promptly dismissed. Howard took the penalty but the keeper read it right and palmed the ball away. Monky who was M O M did some great work down the wing and sent in a perfect ball for Luke James to calmly slot the ball past the keeper for a two goal lead.

Three points to Pools but we will have to step up a bit next week when Carlisle are the visitors.